E e Z Configurations
1) Choose the molecule form the drop-down menu and click on "Select"
2) Select the molecule's configuration and click on "Check Answer"Page 1
E / Z Configurations
Assign the priority order to the susbtituents on the asymmetric carbon according to the Cahn-Ingold-Prelog rules.
- For every substituent, look at the first atom linked to the asymmetric carbon: the atom having the highest atomic number has the highest priority
- If it is not possible to define all the priorities in this way, look at the second atom away form the double bond carbon atom, and so on, until a point of difference can be found.
- The atoms having multiple bonds are equivalents to the same number of atoms linked by single bonds.
Configuration Assignment - 2
Observe the two carbon of the double bond separately. Look at the substituents on each carbon atom. Si osservano i due carboni del gruppo alchenico e i loro sostituenti.
Consider the relative priority between the two substituents on each double bond carbon atom, following the Cahn-Ingold-Prelog rules.
If the groups having the highest priority for each double bond carbon atom are placed on the same side the configuration is Z (Zusammen, "together")
If the groups having the highest priority for each double bond carbon atom are placed on opposite sides the configuration is E (Entgegen, "opposite")